Tuesday, February 15, 2011

How to Prove God Exists Beyond a Doubt

There was a time I didn't believe in God.  I looked at the world through very cynical eyes and saw all the hate and crime my fellow human beings are capable of, and decided there was just no way any God would allow such behavior from His own creations.

You may be like I was and are having doubts about God's existence.  Or maybe you believe whole-heartedly in God but are tired of non-believers constantly belittling your faith by asking you to "prove" that God exists.  One young woman I know personally is always saying, "If there was a God, He would make me believe in Him."

So, how do you prove there is a God beyond a shadow of a doubt?

First, let me say I am still somewhat cynical about certain things, and when I hear a woman from Wyoming testifying that she saw an angel, or that an old farmer in New Mexico swears he saw an alien being, I find myself doubting their honesty.  I have never seen an alien, ghost, angel, big foot, sea monster or any other questionable sightings.  I am not one for tall tales.  So with that in mind, I hope you'll judge for yourselves what I'm about to share.

What if the only way to prove that God exists is through miracles?  I'm not talking about lottery winnings or falling from a 4-story building and living.  Those are things that can and DO happen every day.  No, I'm talking about actual miracles, the kind that no one can explain.

When I was 18 years old, my girlfriend at the time was in high school band. She played the flute. One day she invited me to follow her and her bandmates to Dallas to a football game she was performing for.   At that time, I lived in a small country town about 2 1/2 hours from Dallas.  I had never driven there alone by myself but I really liked her so I agreed to go and offer my support.

She would be riding the school bus from Palestine to Dallas, and I had planned to follow in my car, which was a gas-guzzling 1980 Chevy Caprice.  Unfortunately, we hadn't even gotten out of town good when I got got caught at a traffic light and got separated from the bus.

As I said, I had never driven to Dallas before and wasn't exactly sure how to get there.  But I was determined to go so I sat out on my own hoping to soon catch up with the bus.  I never did.  In fact, I ended up getting lost and going about 100 miles out of my way.

I did eventually make it to the game, and got to see my girlfriend marching in the band.  Soon the game ended and she boarded the bus and headed for home.  I had to walk back to my car which was on the far end of the parking lot, so the bus was long gone by the time I was pulling out of the lot.  I was not too worried about directions home because I had learned through getting lost on the way there how to get back.  But now I had a much bigger problem.  Getting lost had caused me to use much more gas than I had counted on, and I now had less than 1/4 tank of gas.  Here I was in Dallas with no money and no way to buy gas and driving a gas-guzzling old chevy.  It was about 120 miles back to Palestine so I knew I was in real trouble.

I sat out on my journey home not knowing how I would ever make it.  It was in the dead of winter then, and it got dark early.  If you've ever been through East Texas, then you know there are many hundreds of miles of highway that etch through desolate forest land.  There I was driving on that lonely 2-lane highway, through miles and miles of unsettled territory with my gas gauge easing ever-lower.  This was before cell phones so I had no one to call. And even if I had, I was over a hundred miles away from everyone  I knew and loved.

I knew I would run out of gas long before I was anywhere near home, so when I came to a small country gas station I pulled in.  I went inside and explained to the station attendant that I had no money and was just about out of gas, and I asked if I could sweep, mop the floor take out the trash, or do anything to earn even $2 in gas.  The attendant refused and  sent me on my way.

By now it was pitch dark outside.  It was a cold night that night, but to preserve the little bit of gas I had I  switched off the car heater.  As I drove through the desolate wilderness I noted that there was no light anywhere.  There were very few houses along the highway, and no businesses of any kind to stop in and use  a pay phone.  It was not a question of "would I run out of gas," but "When will I run out of gas?"

I watched the gas gauge ease down to the "empty" mark and then below empty.  I still had about 80 miles to go.  I was truly scared.  I was in the middle of nowhere with no one to turn to for help.  How far could I possibly go with no gasoline?

Then I remembered the Bible I kept in my glovebox.  I took it out and out it in my lap, really just for the comfort.  Then, I began to pray to God.  I knew I had made a very foolish decision to drive all the way to Dallas, not knowing where I was going, and not having any money.  I told God He was my only hope of making it to safety without running out of gas and being stranded in the dead of winter in the middle of nowhere on a lonely, dark highway, many, many miles from home.   I prayed and prayed.  Every once in a while I would glance down at the gas gauge that had been below "empty" for many miles, and cringe.

But still I prayed that God would deliver me safely home.

That was 17 year ago.  To this day, I have no way of explaining what happened.  But the truth of the situation is that I drove from just east of Dallas all the way to Palestine, TX with no gasoline in my tank.  That's over 100 miles.  Is there any logical reason I was able to drive that great distance with 0 gas?  I knew then, and I know now, that God heard my prayer that cold, dark Winter night, and he delivered me  safely home.  I made it to my girlfriend's house, killed the car and went inside and called my mother and asked her to come and get me.

While I waited for her, I thought I would try to drive my car just down the road about 100 feet to a gas station and wait for her there.  But my car would not crank.  I was out of gas.  God had allowed me to make it from Dallas all the way to the safety of my girlfriend's home, and then I ran out of gas.

Now, I see no reason at all to question God's existence.  If any of my readers have a similar story to share, please do!    

No comments:

Post a Comment